PunkTorrents

Full Version: Siouxsie and The Banshees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lemme know what ya think.

It'd be much appreciated.

Beer
Do the remasters at least avoid the brickwall compression phenomenon?
I like both tbh, I own remasters and originals. The music content is good enough that I can enjoy regardless. My preference when buying is to buy the remasters if I can tho... for the bonus tracks mostly. I buy nearly all my CDs second hand tho - it can be a bit risky buying the old originals sometimes, just cos these are old and worn CDs half the time... can end up with EAC taking a fit trying to rip these old discs.
(01-11-2017 09:42 PM)dis_0rder Wrote: [ -> ]I like both tbh, I own remasters and originals. The music content is good enough that I can enjoy regardless. My preference when buying is to buy the remasters if I can tho... for the bonus tracks mostly. I buy nearly all my CDs second hand tho - it can be a bit risky buying the old originals sometimes, just cos these are old and worn CDs half the time... can end up with EAC taking a fit trying to rip these old discs.

Cool, dis_0rder .

That helps.

Beer
obviously if you want to get the best out of your favourite bands then you've got to buy the remasters. the only thing is, and I'm quite suspicious about this, is that remasters are coming out all the time with a couple of demos or something stuck on the end....I can't help but think that this is just a marketing ploy by greedy record companies. the original cd releases of any album is a greater improvement than the vinyl so, if you're asking, truthfully, I'm happy just having the original cd releases. no doubt, now that we're in the 40th anniversary of punk, there'll be even more remasters and re-releases.....we've heard all the studio stuff a hundred times over....get the archive live stuff out, that's what I say.
SR
(01-15-2017 04:10 PM)sewer rat Wrote: [ -> ]obviously if you want to get the best out of your favourite bands then you've got to buy the remasters. the only thing is, and I'm quite suspicious about this, is that remasters are coming out all the time with a couple of demos or something stuck on the end....I can't help but think that this is just a marketing ploy by greedy record companies. the original cd releases of any album is a greater improvement than the vinyl so, if you're asking, truthfully, I'm happy just having the original cd releases. no doubt, now that we're in the 40th anniversary of punk, there'll be even more remasters and re-releases.....we've heard all the studio stuff a hundred times over....get the archive live stuff out, that's what I say.
SR

The packaging and repackaging has indeed gotten out of control and
that's even happened with re-releases sans remastering. Sometimes
so-called bonus tracks are anything but. There's a reason certain songs
didn't make the original LP--because they sucked.

As I've studied studio technology it makes sense why some remasters
have been done. One problem = the brickwalling that's happened with
some. Music sounds better when it's dynamic like how it gets naturally.
The argument that brickwall compression's justified because more people
listen to music through headphones, earbuds, etc.--doesn't hold given millions
enjoyed music through headphones long before that mastering approach.
It's not that much work to adjust a stereo's or portable's volume knob either.
Laugh I've rarely ended up in the emergency room from doing so. Laugh
Reference URL's